This twist on the traditional chocolate brownie is topped with ribbons of sweet and salty caramel and incorporates fine slivers of beetroot to give it a moist fudge texture, a rich colour as well as adding nutritious vitamins.
INDULGENT CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES WITH SALTED CARAMEL DRIZZLE – GLUTEN FREE
- 110g Food Thoughts 70% Fine Dark Cacao Chocolate Melts
- 110g butter
- 1 medium sized raw beetroot, boiled and finely grated
- 110g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 75g Food Thoughts Natural 100% Cacao Powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- SALTED CARAMEL DRIZZLE
- 30g granulated sugar
- 30g golden syrup
- 15g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes, plus extra for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / 350F / Gas 4
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin and set to one side.
- FOR THE BROWNIES: Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, then add the butter. Stir until melted, then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Boil the beetroot for approximately 15 - 20 minutes or until tender. Peel away the skin and finely grate, removing any excess moisture.
- Next, pour the chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the caster sugar, eggs, Food Thoughts 100% Organic & Fairtrade Cocoa, grated beetroot and vanilla extract. Whisk until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for approximately 18 - 20 minutes or until firm on top. The brownies should still be slightly soft in the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out on to a wire rack. Slice into 16 squares.
- FOR THE DRIZZLE: Melt the sugar, syrup, butter and vanilla extract in a small pan over a gentle heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until evenly blended, then add the cream.
- Turn up the heat slightly and watch the mixture begin to thicken and turn a rich golden colour (approximately 8 - 10 minutes). Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, stir then remove from the heat to cool. This can be made in advance and briefly warmed prior to drizzling over the brownies.
- Using a fork liberally drizzle the caramel over each brownie and finally sprinkle with a few additional sea salt flakes. If the caramel begins to firm up, simply place in the microwave for a few seconds and repeat the process.
- Top Tip: The easiest way to cook and grate the beetroot is to cut it in half before boiling then hold it with a fork to peel and grate it, particularly if it’s still warm. You can either mash or dispose of the last bit attached to the fork.